Travelling between Tamworth & Sydney
Places to Go, Things to See
Tamworth - Sydney (5.25 hrs travel)
Heading back to Sydney now, you'll pass through Scone where a pause in your Journey lets you see the Australian Stockhorse Museum (photos and memorabilia) and the Scone Historical Museum (war memorabilia and an interesting collection of early toys among other things) as well as allowing you to visit the Burning Mountain Nature Reserve.
The town of Muswellbrook is a great place to access a number of wineries and to sample local produce such as cheeses and olive oil. You could also visit the Muswellbrook Regional Art Gallery or the Muswellbrook Vietnam Memorial Grove (519 trees planted in memory of the Australians killed in Vietnam). Finally relax at either Lake Riddel Recreational Area where you can enjoy picnicking with the wildlife, Fish at Lake Glenbawn for Murray cod and giant perch or enjoy a round of golf at the Muswellbrook Golf Club.
Singleton is the last major stop before reaching Sydney which will take approximately 2.5 hours so a break in the drive is definitely recommended. Here you can refresh yourself before the last section of driving by perhaps doing the heritage Walk, briefly visit the impressive Wollemi National Park (where the Pre-historic Wollemi Pine was found) or marvel at the ancient Aboriginal cave paintings (Bulgar Creek). There is also the Singelton sundial at Rose Point Park (at 30 tons, among the worlds largest) which will certainly impress, the Singelton Historical Museum (where a sense of the towns history can be gained) and the Royal Australian Infantry Corps Museum (items dating from 1885 to present including memorabilia, weapons, uniforms, exhibitions) to consider before taking the last leg to complete your New South Wales North Coast tour.
These are some of the great destinations to see while travelling between Tamworth and Sydney. Be sure to add them to your list of places to visit.
- Scone - Burning Mountain Nature Reserve
- Australian Stockhorse Museum
- Scone Historical Museum,
- Muswellbrook - Wineries, cheeses, olive oil
- Fishing at Lake Glenbawn (Murray cod and giant perch)
- Muswellbrook Regional Art Gallery
- Muswellbrook Golf Club
- Muswellbrook Vietnam Memorial Grove (519 trees: one for each Australian killed in Vietnam)
- Lake Riddel Recreational Area
- Singleton - heritage Walk
- Wollemi National Park (Pre-historic Wollemi Pine)
- ancient Aboriginal cave paintings (Bulgar Creek)
- Singelton sundial at Rose Point Park (30 tons)
- Singelton Historical Museum
- Royal Australian Infantry Corps Museum (1885 to present)