Gympie (1 day Stay)
At Gympie, always enjoyable, is the Valley Rattler which is a Scenic Railway with a heritage Steam Train that passes through the scenic river valleys and past pineapple plantations and heavily wooded gorges as the train stops at each of Dagun, Aramoor and Kandanga terminating in Imbil.
As a gold rush town (gold was discovered nearby in 1867) the Gympie Gold and Mining Museum provides you with important mining Heritage, memorabilia and reproduction mining structures but also within its grounds you will find the House of Andrew Fisher (first Prime Minister from Qld, a military museum, a railway display, a dairy display and more.
Showcasing another industry important to the region is the Woodworks Forestry and Timber Museum where equipment used by the early timber industry, 101 sample species timbers, 619 year old Kauri Pine Cross section from 1939).
The regions natural history can be enjoyed at Amamoor State Forest and Woondum Forest Reserve.
Amamoor State Forest provides a great opportunity for bird watching and has a wide range of flora and fauna. According to locals there is the chance to see platypus in Amamoor Creek at dawn or dusk. The energetic can also enjoy excellent views from Cooke's Knob Fire Tower within the Forest. Woondum Forest Reserve is a Eucalyptus forest with excellent walking trails and a track enjoyable for four wheel driving.
These are some of the great destinations to see while exploring Gympie. Be sure to add them to your list of places to visit.
- Valley Rattler, Scenic Railway, heritage Steam Train
- Gympie Gold and Mining Museum, (Mining Heritage, memorabilia, mining structures)
- House of Andrew Fisher (first Prime Minister from Queensland)
- military museum
- railway display
- dairy display
- Woodworks Forestry and Timber Museum, equipment used by early timber industry, over 100 sample species timbers, 619 year old Kauri example
- Amamoor State Forest, birdwatching, flora and fauna, platypus in Amamoor Creek
- views from Cooke's Knob Fire Tower
- Woondum Forest Reserve
- Eucalyptus forest, walking trails, 4WD track
- Victory Heights