Roma to Kingaroy (4.75 hrs Travel)
While driving to Kingaroy keep an eye out for the Pickanjinnie rail siding where you will see a rock in the shape of a turtle on the side of the highway that was erected by the Nellie Carmody Jiman Land Culture and Heritage Aboriginal Corporation.
At Wallumbilla drop into Calico Cottage for local arts and crafts and for excellent tourist information from the knowledgeable locals.
As you drive through Yuleba consider stopping at Judd's Lagoon for a rest where you can see a great variety of flora, and fauna and enjoy good fishing.
At Drillham there is are roadside cairns for you to see commemorating the efforts of railway workers responsible for bringing service to the town back in 1878. The town of Miles has the Miles Historical Village & Museum. Twenty restored buildings allow you to step back into history with a wonderful recreation of what the main street of a Queensland country town used to look like. Inside the buildings you will find memorabilia, WWI and WWII mementos, aboriginal artefacts and a collection of semiprecious stones and seashells amongst other things. The local art gallery, called Dogwood Crossing @ Miles also doubles as a Social History centre and a Library. Other things to do in Miles include using their Olympic Swimming Pool, and casting a line into the Balonne River.
Next up is Chinchilla where the Chinchilla Historical Museum has such interesting items as the first ever Qantas ticket issued (a photocopy is on display), a replica steam sawmill, various engines and dairy equipment and can provide insights into local history. A further sense of the town's history can be gained from visiting the Pioneer Cemetery which also includes monument in honour of explorer Ludwig Leichhardt who died having passed through the region attempting to cross Australia from Brisbane to Perth. It is also possible to fossick locally for petrified wood specific to the region known as "Chinchilla Red".
The town of Warra contains the Richard Best Memorial Park, which contains the restored former Warra Railway Station, the Progress and Heritage Society Museum and picnic facilities. Fishing is said to be good at the Condamine River. You can also visit the site of the 1844 Campsite of Explorer Ludwig Leichhardt.
At Dalby you can enjoy the Heritage Trail before going to see the Pioneer Park Museum which has one of largest ranges of working Agricultural machinery and tractors in Queensland as well as two Fire Engines, an impressive collection of hand tools and implements from pioneering days of the Wambo shire area and a Chandler Hearse which is one of only two left in world. There is also a range of colonial memorabilia in a number of authentic buildings, local crafts for sale, an antique firearm collection, a blacksmith shop, a historical phone exchange and much, much more. The nearby Lake Broadwater Conservation Park offers pleasant bushwalking and bird watching opportunities.
Jimbour is a working grain and cattle property with a vineyard and Cellar Door, and which has an impressive historical Mansion built in 1874 with extensive gardens designed in 1923 which are open to the public.
The small town of Bell (only 30 min from Bunya Mountains National Park) has the Railway Heritage Park which features an early model diesel locomotive and passenger railer.
These are some of the great destinations to see while travelling between Roma and Kingaroy. Be sure to add them to your list of places to visit.
- Pickanjinnie, Monument to an Aboriginal Legend
- Wallumbilla - Calico Cottage (arts and Crafts),
- Yuleba - Judds Lagoon (flora, fauna, good fishing)
- Drillham - Roadside Cairns for railway workers,
- Miles - Miles Historical Village & Museum (recreation of Qld Country town main street)
- Dogwood Crossing @ Miles (art gallery, Social History)
- Balonne River (fishing)
- Chinchilla Historical Museum (First Qantas ticket, Replica Steam Sawmill, Engines and Dairy Equipment, local history)
- Fossicking for petrified wood ('Chinchilla Red')
- Pioneer Cemetery (monument for Ludwig Leichardt)
- Warra - Richard Best Memorial Park
- Progress and Heritage Society Museum
- Condamine River - Fishing
- 1844 Campsite of Explorer Ludwig Leichhardt
- Dalby - Dalby Heritage Trail
- Pioneer Park Museum (working Agricultural machinery and tractors)
- Jimbour - Working grain and cattle property with a vineyard and Cellar Door
- Bell Railway Heritage Park, early model diesel locomotive and passenger Railer
- Bunya Mountains National Park