Sydney - Newcastle (4 hrs travel)
As you start your adventure and leave the outskirts of Sydney you'll soon reach Gosford. Art lovers will want to stop in Gosford to see Gallery 460 And Sculpture Park 88 which is Australia's Largest commercial sculpture park (on 16 acres) as well as the Regional Arts and Gallery Centre with its delightfully serene Japanese Gardens. Recreational opportunities in Gosford include the Brisbane Water National Park, Strickland State Forest, Bouddi National Park and the Central Coast Steam Model Co-op where you can ride the miniature trains. Also of note is the Henry Kendall Cottage and Historical Museum where you can get a sense of the life and inspiration of this great Australian poet.
Onward along the coast you will reach The Entrance where fishing enthusiasts can break out their rods for some blackfish and also catch prawns. If you're not quite into fishing why not sit back and watch the local pelicans at work? A large group of the local pelicans are fed daily at The Entrance. Water sports are also possible at Tuggerah Lake with opportunity for use of catamarans, kayaks and pedal boats or the energetic can learn to surf at the Central Coast Surf School. Art lovers can enjoy the Gorokan - Toukley & Districts Art Society where you can see the work of local artists or you can visit Seacam P/L and view the awesome aerial and ocean photography on display in their store while the natural splendour of native red gums is on display at Wyrrabalong National Park.
These are some of the great destinations to see while travelling between Sydney and Newcastle. Be sure to add them to your list of places to visit.
- Gosford - Regional Arts and Gallery Centre (includes Japanese Gardens)
- Australian Rainforest Sanctuary
- Brisbane Water National Park
- Central Coast Steam Model Co-op (miniature trains)
- Gallery 460 And Sculpture Park 88 (Australia's Largest commercial sculpture park)
- Strickland State forest
- Bouddi National Park
- Henry Kendall Cottage and Historical Museum
- Gosford Regional Art Gallery
- Australian Reptile Park
- The Entrance - fishing
- Tuggerah Lake (catamaran, kayak, pedal boat)
- Wyrrabalong National Park (Red gum Forest)
- watch the pelicans being fed
- Learn to surf at the Central Coast Surf School
- Seacam Pty Limited (aerial and ocean photographic gallery)
- Gorokan - Toukley & Districts Art Society